News thumbnail
Nation / Tue, 18 Aug 2026 Firstpost

Pakistan runs for narrative cover as Discovery's Op Sindoor documentary busts Asim Munir's victory claim

The documentary provides a behind-the-scenes account of India's response to the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack and the military actions that followed. Doval's message on India's response to terrorDoval said in the documentary that India's generosity, tolerance and restraint should not be mistaken for weakness. He said New Delhi was prepared to take risks and "hit hard" when India's national interests and citizens were threatened. The documentary presents Operation Sindoor as a targeted military response following the Pahalgam attack, with the stated objective of destroying terrorist infrastructure linked to the attack. It therefore offers a fuller picture of how India's response was planned and how its military objectives were defined.

Pakistan's military establishment has reacted sharply to a new Discovery documentary on Operation Sindoor, objecting to its portrayal of the four-day India-Pakistan conflict of May 2025

Pakistan's military establishment has reacted sharply to a new Discovery documentary on Operation Sindoor, objecting to its portrayal of the four-day India-Pakistan conflict of May 2025.

The two-part Declassified: Operation Sindoor, which premiered on August 15, features senior Indian military and security officials who were involved in the planning and execution of the operation.

The documentary provides a behind-the-scenes account of India's response to the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack and the military actions that followed. It also gives a rare public account of India's decision-making during the 88-hour operation, including remarks from National Security Adviser Ajit Doval on the country's approach to national security and deterrence.

Advertisement

Pakistan's Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), however, has rejected the documentary's account, calling it "highly dramatised, coloured and factually inaccurate" and accusing India of trying to rewrite the outcome of last year's confrontation.

Doval's message on India's response to terror

Doval said in the documentary that India's generosity, tolerance and restraint should not be mistaken for weakness. He said New Delhi was prepared to take risks and "hit hard" when India's national interests and citizens were threatened.

The documentary presents Operation Sindoor as a targeted military response following the Pahalgam attack, with the stated objective of destroying terrorist infrastructure linked to the attack.

More from World More from World

Its account also focuses on India's military planning and the use of precision strikes against targets in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.

The documentary says the operation eventually led to an understanding to stop military action after 88 hours.

ISPR rejects India's account

Pakistan's military has strongly disputed that portrayal.

In its statement, ISPR described the documentary as a "Bollywood-style" production and said India had "cobbled together a propaganda video to project a military blunder as a successful endeavour."

It also rejected India's claim of achieving "100 per cent mission success", while maintaining that Pakistani forces had resisted the Indian offensive and inflicted losses on Indian aircraft.

Advertisement

Pakistan has also argued that the fighting ended through communication between the two countries' Directors General of Military Operations rather than through a decisive victory by either side.

The Pakistani military further objected to the documentary's presentation of the Pahalgam attack and subsequent military action, questioning India's chronology and disputing New Delhi's claims about the conflict.

Documentary puts India's version on record

The significance of the Discovery production lies in the access it provides to Indian officials who were directly involved in Operation Sindoor.

Rather than relying only on official statements issued during the conflict, the documentary revisits the operation through accounts from senior military commanders, national security officials and others involved in the campaign. It therefore offers a fuller picture of how India's response was planned and how its military objectives were defined.

© All Rights Reserved.