News thumbnail
World / Sun, 17 May 2026 India Today

Indian worker killed, 3 injured in massive Ukrainian drone attack on Russia

An Indian worker was killed, and three others were injured after Ukrainian drones hit Russia’s Moscow region on Sunday, the Embassy of India in Russia said. The embassy said its officials visited the site of the attack and met the injured workers at a hospital. Authorities said at least four people were killed in the attack, including three in the Moscow region. He said the strikes were a response to continued Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities and civilians. Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova described the strikes as a "mass terrorist attack," according to Russian state news agency TASS.

An Indian worker was killed, and three others were injured after Ukrainian drones hit Russia’s Moscow region on Sunday, the Embassy of India in Russia said. The embassy said its officials visited the site of the attack and met the injured workers at a hospital.

"The Embassy condoles the loss of life and is working with the company management and local authorities to provide necessary assistance to the workers," the embassy said in a statement posted on X. The identities of the victims have not yet been made public. Authorities are also yet to release further details about the drone strike. A screengrab of the Indian Embassy’s post on X.

Read Full Story

Ukraine launched one of its biggest drone attacks on Moscow in recent months overnight Sunday, triggering air raid sirens, explosions and falling debris across parts of the Russian capital and nearby regions.

Russia’s defence ministry claimed that more than 1,000 Ukrainian drones were intercepted across the country within 24 hours. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said air defence systems shot down at least 81 drones headed toward the capital overnight. The strikes caused damage to residential buildings and infrastructure in several areas. Authorities said at least four people were killed in the attack, including three in the Moscow region. Another death was reported in Russia’s Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine.

Moscow regional Governor Andrei Vorobyov said a woman died after debris struck a home in Khimki, north of Moscow. Two other men were killed in the village of Pogorelki in the Mytishchi district. Several others were injured during the strikes. Some of the wounded were reported near Moscow’s oil refinery, although authorities insisted the facility itself remained operational and did not suffer major damage.

UKRAINE SAYS STRIKES WERE RESPONSE TO RUSSIAN ATTACKS

The drone assault came just days after Russia launched one of its heaviest aerial attacks on Kyiv since the war began more than four years ago. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had earlier promised retaliation following the Russian bombardment.

In a video shared on X, Zelenskyy posted footage showing smoke rising from targeted areas and emergency crews battling flames. He said the strikes were a response to continued Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities and civilians.

"Our responses to Russia’s prolongation of the war and its attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified," Zelenskyy said.

The Ukrainian President also claimed Kyiv had managed to strike targets located more than 500 kilometres inside Russian territory despite Moscow’s heavy air defence network.

Russia condemned the attacks and accused Ukraine of targeting civilians. Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova described the strikes as a "mass terrorist attack," according to Russian state news agency TASS.

Since the war began, both Russia and Ukraine have repeatedly denied deliberately attacking civilians. However, residential neighbourhoods and civilian infrastructure on both sides have continued to face repeated strikes throughout the conflict.

- Ends

© All Rights Reserved.